This is a true story of a studio attempting to do wrong to an artist, and how that artist protected himself from it. The facts are all true, only the names have been changed or left out.

I have written this so that others can learn from my experience and legal events that I had to go through to make things right.

The Demand Letter

December 14, 2009

Today I receive my final check, with no overtime paid. I review my legal actions that I can take. Since I bill from my Limited Liability Company, I cannot take up any legal action with employment law, which would have big penalties against Epilogue. I have to take the studio to small claims court.

The first step is to send the defendant a demand letter. In Los Angeles county, the small claims website has a demand letter generator which you answer some questions, and it words everything properly for you. I send the demand letter with 2 week deadline.